> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Advice on furnace raplacement
Login | Register

Advice on furnace raplacement

Posted by Brad on July 25th, 2000 04:40 PM

I am going to be replacing my furnace and I am woefully uneducated about what to look for in furnaces and HVAC contractors. The furnace I have is the one installed when the house was built 35 years ago. It's a gas, forced air model by Delco Conditionnaire (I've been told this is a re-labelled Lennox). The fan bearings are shot and replacements are not available. Rather than paying for a new fan assembly, given the furnaces' age, I feel that it makes sense to replace the whole unit rather than investing more money in it - even though carbon monoxide levels and the heat exchanger are fine (we've had it serviced yearly since we bought the house). We've got central AC that we won't be replacing.
My questions are:
About what size furnace whould I look for to heat a 1350 sq. ft. ranch-style house with finished basement in Denver, CO?
I've been told that slightly oversized (and undersized!) furnaces provide more-consistent heating. Is there any truth in that?
I've also been told that high-efficiency models (e.g., 90+) do not provide any benefits in Colorado due to the thin air. True?
We've got several estimators scheduled to come out later this week. What information should I expect from them, aside from price?
Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks very much for your help!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• HVAC by bc  7/25/00 05:27 PM
  • Thanks by Brad  7/25/00 05:38 PM
  • FURNACE by J O  7/25/00 05:40 PM
  • FURNACE by J O  7/25/00 05:41 PM
  • Furnaces by JoeB  7/25/00 07:36 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC