> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > adhesive removal from concrete floor before painiting
Login | Register

adhesive removal from concrete floor before painiting

Posted by Trudy Herman on January 8th, 2003 01:34 PM
In reply to Sizing a floor prior to painting. by Stephen E on March 22nd, 1999 07:06 PM [Go to top of thread]

Was there any response to this March 22, 1999 question below? It is similar to the situation I have - do I have to strip the black adhesive from concrete floor in order to paint, or is there something I can get to seal it instead. Only using a small amount of stripper is making us all sick! ... and is a bad mess.

Message from Stephen E on March 22, 1999: I am stripping up an old asbestos floor from a concrete slab. It is almost fifity years old. I am planning on simply painting the slab with concrete paint. There is a lot of adhesive left. At my local hardware store, they suggested than instead of stipping up all of the old adhesive, simply resizing the floor (ie putting a thin layer of sizing compound on top of the existing floor). Would this stuff stand up to floor paint and traffic, or is is meant to be used only under something like ceramic tile?
Also, would it be possible to simply prime over the little remaining dried adhesive with something like Kilz, and then paint it with floor paint?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC