> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Addition of 2nd Floor Apartment to Detached Garage
Login | Register

Addition of 2nd Floor Apartment to Detached Garage

Posted by James Coley on April 17th, 2002 02:00 PM

I have a 24x30 masonry block garage (on a slab) sitting on an adjoining lot to my house. I'm investigating the addition of a one or two bedroom guest house/mother-in-law apartment onto it. Other than the obvious building permit and neighbor approval (if necessary), do you have any other recommendations for me? I'm trying to do this on the cheap - basically for supplies cost and doing all of my own labor. My ideal would be to find an existing plan for a 24x30 that I can use instead of designing a custom plan, but most of the plan websites I've found don't have small homes (720 sq ft plans). I live in the county (TN) and there are a variety of home styles around me so I think the approval process should be pretty easy. My biggest roadblock is my budget, I would like to frame out the exterior at first and then complete the remainder over the course of a year or two (typical redneck project). Any advice would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC