> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > adding a 4-way switch to an existing 3-way circuit
Login | Register

adding a 4-way switch to an existing 3-way circuit

Posted by Larry on August 23rd, 2002 10:07 PM
In reply to Wiring a three-way light switch by Anthony Lutteroty on March 5th, 2001 12:31 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Diagram for wiring a three way switch by Handyman on 05/18/2005

Whoever designed the wiring in my house sure didn't think about how dysfunctional thier wiring layout was.
They installed one switch by a counter in the middle of the kitchen, which is great when your in the kitchen. And the other switch is by the front door.

They should've also installed one at the beginning of the hallway. If you saw our floor plan you'd understand why we need a third switch.

I need a wiring diagram on how I can add a 4-way switch to my existing 3-way circuit, without disturbing the insulation in my attic. I've already figured I could tie into one of the existing 3-way switches, than drop down through the floor plate, and come back up into the other wall where I want to add the third switch.

How should I tie into the wiring to make the third switch work, and which outlet should I put the 4-way switch in?

Even the Electrical Experts at Home Depot were stumped by this question.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC