> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > AC woes
Login | Register

AC woes

Posted by Diane in Houston on August 27th, 2002 10:33 AM

My upstairs central air has twice in just a few months run totally out of 'freon' and had to be refilled. This guy checked the condenser and said it wasn't leaking from there, that if it got hot upstairs again it would be the coil leaking. It got hot again. Called another company, they said the air handler had a small leak, but a big leak in the heater of the condenser. Next company said small leak in air handler, big leak outside. Next company said no leak in air handler, big leak in the condenser. From these guys I've heard everything from you can have the dryer replaced, and change out the air handler, or change out the condenser and leave the air handler (since the leak is small), or change out both units. The air handler is original to the house (20+ years old). The condenser we had put in about 9 years ago (a 2 ton Coleman). To replace both of these right now would be a MAJOR financial pinch. But I don't want to waste money fixing something that in a year or two may need even more costly work. Help! Any ideas? BTW: Moderator Steve and all: I highly commend you on a most excellent forum!! Others just don't compare. You guys are great! :-)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC