> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > AC compressor
Login | Register

AC compressor

Posted by Ben on April 22nd, 2002 10:19 PM

How long in time should the air conditioner compressor stay on before it would become damage? The reason I'm asking is that I put on our AC last week when the outside temperature reached 95 degrees. The compressor ran most of the day and it seem like it would not get the temperature in the house down to 72. I raised the thermostat to 74 and the AC when off and stayed off for about 15 minutes until the compressor went back on and would run for about 30 minutes, then go off for about another 15 minutes and would continue with this pattern until the late evening when my timed thermostat raised the temperature up to 76. I had the AC service last season and everything was OK. I have a 5 ton unit being used on about 25,000 square feet ranch style house. Is this normal or should something be done?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you in advance, Ben
I also have a manual operated 36 inch attic fan installed on the side of my house with 4 turbine vents on the top of my roof and a thermostatic control roof fan. I did not put the 36 inch attic fan on until later in the day when I realized that the roof fan was running.
Would it help if I have the 36 inch fan running while I have the AC on?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC