> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > About to purchase house with dry rot and NO access to subflooring!
Login | Register

About to purchase house with dry rot and NO access to subflooring!

Posted by PhoenixFire on May 3rd, 2001 06:41 AM

We are about to sign the contract on a double brick house built around 1956 that has Murray Pine floors and the pest inspector told us that he found by accident (cause he couldnt check floors because he isnt allowed to pull up carpeting etc)that the front corner of the house (master bedroom) has a ONE INCH BY ONE FOOT dry rot in the corner......he CANNOT ACCESS THE CRAWL SPACE OR SUBFLOOR ETC to look at the floorboards because there is no access besides cutting a hole in the floor or taking a few floorboards out so he can crawl under and look.......the owners want to sell this house very eagerly ...their excuse is that 7 times ppl have pulled out because of finance problems.....but is it because they discovered the rot?

Because the house is double brick it has no frame has a new roof (who knows why) but has no insulation in the roof.....but the original wood in the roof looks ok according to the inspector.....the inspector seems honest but he and the building inspector are inspectors contacted on our behalf by the Real Estate Agents.....are we being conned?

There are a few cracks in the house on the outside but that is to be expected because of its age etc....but there is peeling paint and powdering cement or render..near the bottome of the house...there are a good amount of vents but the inspector says the rot will go away if we replace the wood where it is rotten and put more vents in.....but I read on the net that dry rot is a fungus and can spread etc....should we NOT buy this house because of the threat that the FUNGUS will continually come back? And eventually perhaps eat the roof wood?.....
Will/can/Is this fungus harmful to breathe in? Like it is a it bad for you like the mould that grows in bathrooms etc?
We love this house and it is a good price (average price) and dont want to lose it over something that can easily be repaired.....

If it became a problem down the track..instead of replacing flooring and floor just replace with steel frame and cement floor?.....I hope it doesnt come to that because these are good quality floorboards and would polish up nicely....

Another thing is the pest inspector also said that the loungeroom floor is a bit springy and would probably need a couple of wedges put in...

What do you guys think? Are we being stupid thinking that we should buy it anyway? I mean we love that it is such a solid house (double brick) and are thinking that 'most' houses will need some sort of work anyway ....all houses have problems....are we naive?

What do you guys think?

Should we 'insist' that the owner let us take up some floorboards to get access? He is really jumping up and down for us to hurry up and sign the contracts..but we are trying to do the right thing by us and we are afraid that if we ask for one more 'favour' he will sell the house to someone else...I know that ppl would usually figure in the damage as a reduction in the house price but since the house was for sale for $6000 more than what we offered ..and this was the lowest offer he would take we doubt that he would lower the price because we found dry rot...he probably knows about it and that is probably why he wants us to sign so eagerly....they didnt even want us to do the inspections...this house because it is brick with no frame supposedly COULDNT have any other 'hidden' probs....well unless its plumbing or wiring but we figure that stuff comes up with every old house too.

Again what do you guys think....I mean this house IS 45 years old.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC