renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A START ...
Login | Register

A START ...

Posted by JAY J on February 28th, 2000 09:49 AM
In reply to DRYWALL REPAIR by TONI on February 27th, 2000 10:32 AM [Go to top of thread]

TONI,

GO TO A HOME CENTER AND GET SOME JOINT COMPOUND. GET A 3' SPACKLE KNIFE TOO. GET SOME 220 SAND PAPER TOO. I SUGGEST A SANDING BLOCK TOO BUT DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH SANDING YOU NEED TO DO OR HOW BIG THE AREA(S) IN QUESTION IS/ARE, YOU MAY NOT NEED ONE.

SAND THE 'BAD' AREAS FIRST, ENOUGH TO GET ANY 'FRILLED' DRYWALL PAPER OFF. APPLY THE 'MUD' INTO THE DAMAGED AREA. (IF IT'S LARGER THAN THE KNIFE, YOU NEED A KNIFE THAT'S BIGGER THAN 3".) PUT ON A LIGHT COAT, MAINLY TO 'FILL' THE DAMAGED AREA. WAIT 24 HOURS FOR IT TO DRY. SAND LIGHTLY ENOUGHT TO 'KNOCK OFF THE HIGH SPOTS'. THEN APPLY A THIN LAYER TRYING TO KEEP THE MUD 'LEVEL' WITH THE FACE OF THE WALL. LET DRY FOR 24 HOURS AND SAND FLUCH W/THE WALL. THEN, APPLY (WHAT IS HOPEFULLY) A FINAL COAT, WAIT 24 HOURS, AND SAND SMOOTH. WIPE THE AREA WITH A DRY CLOTH AND PRIME WITH A PRIMER/SEALER, THEN PAINT OR WALLPAPER.

THE KEY TO THIS JOB IS DO IT IN LAYERS. DON'T HURT YOURSELF TO DO IT IN 1 COAT. SOME EXPERTS DO AT LEAST 2, AND YOU'RE CERTAINLY FREE TO DO 4 OR 5 COATS UNTIL YOU GET IT JUST RIGHT. THE OTHER KEY IS TO PRIME/SEAL THE AREA BEFORE YOU PAINT. (OH, IT'S OK TO GET THE 'MUD' ON THE UNDAMAGED PART OF THE WALL. YOU SAND OFF WHAT YOU CAN SEE.) FEATHER THE MUD 'HUMP' A LITTLE TOO. OTHER THAN THAT, YOU'RE DONE. HOPEFULLY YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT JUST A FEW BAD SPOTS AND NOT A REALLY DAMAGED WALL! IF THE LATTER IS THE CASE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO HIRE A PRO.

MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

PS: DO YOU HAVE A HEADACHE FROM THE CAPITAL LETTERS?! I DO. IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, JOIN THEM.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC