> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A Side Note ...
Login | Register

A Side Note ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 8th, 2001 08:29 AM
In reply to Feeling Much Better by Painter Barb, Once Again on March 7th, 2001 09:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Barb,

Glad to see you're well enough to 'hit the keyboard', and then some.

RE: the floor/underlayment/sub-floor, I don't think you'll find anything in the Inspection Report that says what you have 'BETWEEN' your top-layer and sub-floor. I would bet it will say what you have for a sub-floor but that's it. The Inspector isn't 'normally' going to check what's under the kitchen vinyl floor or the Family Room carpet, and so on (unless you ask, but still maybe not.) IF he/she can SEE what you have for a sub-floor, it should be mentioned. For all you and he/she knows, you could have 2 layers of lauan and vinly under there too. (This is what I had in my Foyer before I ripped it up to install 3/4" hardwood. The only way my inspector could have told me what was 'under' there was by actually ripping it up (which of course he wasn't going to do.) BUT, from the basement, you could see that I have 3/4" tongue-and-groove for a sub-floor. And to boot, there's 3/4" plywood on TOP of that in the kitchen! The latter I found out when I removed the top layer of vinyl.

So, what I'm REALLY saying (in too many words) is the Inspection Report is just that. Just because 'something' isn't mentioned doesn't mean 'something else' isn't so.

I do look forward to your Painting Report. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC