> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A Personal Preference ...
Login | Register

A Personal Preference ...

Posted by Jay J on January 11th, 2000 08:26 AM
In reply to floating wood floor by bcarpenter on January 10th, 2000 04:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

I usually recommend that wood and laminate floorings not be installed in the kitchen. The main reason is the result of water damage. One dropped glass of water can ruin the floor causing it to buckle. Sheet vinyl is my personally, recommended best. It's a kitchen. It probably gets the most use of all the rooms in the house. When you have a party, people like to congregate in the kitchen (at least in my house they do!) And if you have small children, well, that says enough. I like the idea of a floating floor because they're very soft but at the same time, if you want the 'look' AND 'feel' of a hardwood floor, a floating floor isn't gonna do that for you. Yes, you can install them yourself. That's the only thing a floating floor has going for you in terms of $$$. And to me, they sound 'hollow' when you walk on them. It doesn't matter if it's installed on concrete either.

As for ceramic tile, for me, they're too cold unless you put in a radiant heat system underneath. Tile will break even a plastic bottle if you drop it. If you drop glass, it's everywhere! If you have kids, whatever they drop, it may end up chipping the tile. Tile will raise the floor almost an inch after installation. Doors may have to be cut. As for a carpeted kitchen? ... Forget it.

Again, I want to emphasize that my $.02 is a personal preference. A tile pro can sell you tile, a hardwood floor pro can sell you hardwood, and a vinyl pro can sell you vinyl. I didn't install my sheet-vinyl floor myself (it's not tiled vinly, ie., 1 ft squares; it's 6' wide.) I had a pro do it because the kitchen had too many turns and such in it. Thank goodness because we found a few 'cracks' in it a few weeks later and he had to rip it up and do it again! (He wasn't happy.)

If you need more help, e-mail me direclty. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC