> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A Personal Choice ...
Login | Register

A Personal Choice ...

Posted by Jay J on January 21st, 2000 10:42 AM
In reply to siding by Bill Priday on January 21st, 2000 08:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

There are an awful lot of styles out there to choose from. Really, it's a personal choice so I can't say what you should install. Not all, however, is lost.

When you're shopping for siding, there are a few things you want to keep in mind. Pick a siding that's 'in character' with the house and the neighborhood. If you're off on either one, the house will lose value. Also, pick a color that's neutral. Bone, White, Baige, Tan, and the like, appeal to more buyers. They also don't fade as much as colors such as light-blue, light-brown, and so on. Buy a siding that's at least .042 mils thick. .044 or better is good. If it's too thin, the sun can wharp the siding. If it's too cold, it can crack if you just bump it.

Other things to keep in mind are the 'accessories'. Not all mfgrs. make hose bibs, light-mount plates, electrical 'boxes', gable vents, and so on. (Ashland-Davis is sold at Home Depot, but Builder's Edge makes the accessories. It's OK to custom-order what you need. They can't stock everything.) Make sure the installer is installing over a smooth, flat surface. If he isn't, he can void the warranty. Get a copy of the Installation Instructions AND the Warranty from him BEFORE he starts. This way, you can be sure you won't be screwed later on if there's a problem. What you might want to consider along with this job is to have additional electrical and hose lines installed. You can have the installer pre-drill the holes where YOU want them, and he can install the 'accessories', then plug them, so later on you can run the lines. Make sure they're drilled in a place where you can get your lines in and your hands around to do the work, too. I put GFCI outlets on all 4 sides of my home. 3 sides have a spiggot too. Just something to think about.

One last thing. If you have any wood trim, you might want to get it all capped. Then, you'll have a maintenance-free exterior! What I suggest is you scrape, clean, and prime all exposed wood with oil-based primer. Prime with white about a week before the caping job. (Wait for Spring or Summer.) Primer is usually meant to stay 'unpainted' for only a few weeks. If left unprotected too long, it breaks down. If you have to replace any bad 'boards', do so before they're capped. There's nothing more rotten than rotting wood underneath aluminum caping!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• siding by Bill Priday  1/21/00 08:39 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC