> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A Hunch ...
Login | Register

A Hunch ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on July 2nd, 2001 12:19 PM
In reply to removed paneling over plaster walls...What next? by c kinser on July 1st, 2001 06:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi c,

I'll bet the paper you're referring to is the 'outer layer' of standard drywall. I don't think you have plaster walls under the panelling.

What you can do (if you can) is find something like an outlet or a vent or something that will (when the 'cover' is removed) show you the 'layers'. Hopefully, when you look at your wall from the 'side', you'll see the layers. Perhaps you ought to find someone who's in the trades like a carpenter or electrician or even an interior decorator. I'm sure you have a 'friend-of-a-friend'. Offer to by lunch or something in return for the 'right answer'. As Steve: said, it could simply be wallpaper, but if a good look from the 'side' is made, one will know for sure what's back there.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: If the paper turns out to be wallpaper, I recommend it be removed anyway. If the paper turns out to be Drywall Paper, DON'T mess w/it!!! You need to find a better way to get the paneling off whilst preserving the Drywall Paper. If you do enough damage, you'll either have a VERY large spackling job, or you'll have to remove ALL the existing drywall to rehang new drywall. In short, get the 'problem' identified, and go from there ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC