> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A Few Years Ago ...
Login | Register

A Few Years Ago ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 29th, 2001 03:34 PM
In reply to burn mark on countertop by lisa on March 29th, 2001 02:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Lisa,

... A 'little old man' suggested that the burn spot be 'covered over' with a ceramic tile square.

You'd go to your local Home Center and pick out a LARGE ceramic tile square that would safely 'stand up' a hot pot of whatever that just came off the stove. Sure, get a nice designer style but make sure it's FLAT. (You don't want a pot of hot pasta sauce 'rocking' on the ceramic tile you've installed!) In a sense, the bigger the tile the better because the heat can be easily transfered to the 'surrounding' countertop and soften the glue. If you use a LARGE piece of ceramic tile, then it will dissipate the heat given off by the bottom of the pot. The rule of thumb is only use the tile as a TEMPORARY 'stand'. In other words, don't set that hot pot of pasta sauce on the tile for more than a few minutes. Scoop out your meat-a-balls (or whatever) to be put into a sauce dish, and put the pot back on the stove. In a sense, depending on where the tile is 'located' on the countertop, you can get your HOT POT temporarily out-of-the-way of someone cooking on the stove. See what I mean?

Of course, your next question is: How do you 'cut in' a ceramic tile square into a laminate countertop? I'm out of breath. I'll leave the Start-to-Finish answer to someone else (if they're up to it.)

Jay J -Moderator

PS: ...Attn: To whoever answers the 'next question', please talk about the tile adhesive part of the process and the caulking part too. Thanks! :)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC