> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A few more comments on Heart-Pine
Login | Register

A few more comments on Heart-Pine

Posted by averill on August 27th, 2000 09:21 AM
In reply to Cast your vote: Water or oil based poly for wood floors? (or seal/wax?) by averill on August 24th, 2000 07:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

Just to pass along a few more tidbits that I've learned this week. (By the way - I talked with professional floor refinishers - who could not have been a more helpful group. I felt like I was asking Mrs. Fields for her secret cookie recipe, but I found the pros to be quite generous in sharing their expertise, as has also been demonstrated on this board. Anyway, in particular regard to heart-pine: The yellowing issue with oil is not a particular problem for heart pine. It is magic, believe me! It sands down to a yellowy pink, and then starts to redden up as the days to by. Apparently it will turn to a lovely amber, so any yellowing of the oil finish actually works with the amber color. This 'yellowing' might not be what you want for a different type of wood, but in the case of heart-pine - it actually sounds good to me. One last important thing: Sunlight on the heart-pine enhances the ambering process, so never, ever use a coating with UV protection.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC