> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A 'cricket'
Login | Register

A 'cricket'

Posted by Bruce M on August 8th, 1998 07:49 PM
In reply to Chimney leak by William R on August 7th, 1998 06:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi William
A cricket is simply a little roof between your existing roof and your chimney. I've built a coupe of these in my time.....

The cricket prevents water from flowing down from your roof (usually a steep roof), hitting your chimney and its flashing, and finding a way around the flashing. Trying to describe how to build a cricket is simply to involved to do here. Suggest you go to the library and look this up. It's not too difficult.....the hardest part I have found in building a cricket is working on a steep pitch roof....but with planning, its not too tough :-)

Another thing to check is your chimney cap....that is...the mortar between the flues and the chimney brick. This, in my experience, is the most likely cause of chimney leaks. That is, water coming out somewhere down below. Plastic tar can be the simple fix....although replacing the cap may be necessary. Again, suggest you get a good book on the subject.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC