> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > A couple of ideas
Login | Register

A couple of ideas

Posted by Stew on February 2nd, 2003 06:58 AM
In reply to Kitchen Counters by Nick on February 1st, 2003 11:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't know where you live and prices of supplies vary from area to area, it seems. If you are a smart shopper, that $200 a month can go a long way. Here are a couple of ideas:

1) White cabinets are on a comeback and seem to be trendy. Clean your cabinets with a good scrub pad and TSP (Trisodium Phosphate - available at home stores) (Use ventilation!!!!) Prime them with a couple of coats of a good stain-blocking primer like "Kilz" and paint your cabinets white or off-white to match your decor. Replacement pulls can vary in cost depending upon style. You may even want to reuse the old ones if they aren't in bad shape.

2) You don't say what kind of countertops you have, but most likely they are a laminate like "Formica" brand. This is easily replaced or even covered over with a WIDE variety of styles - again, check the latest home improvement store. You'll need to borrow a friend's router if you don't have one. It's use to trim the laminate, along with a good file. I'd suggest getting a how-to-book or e-mail me directly for tips. If you have cermic tile countertops, you'll have to chip the tiles up before laying a new countertop.

3) Check with builders and contractors who remodel bathrooms and sinks. If they pull out decent fixtures in a remodelling job & they haven't ruined them in the process, they may be willing to sell you the old ones or even give them to you if you are willing to haul them away from a job.

4) As far as the tub goes, when I bought my existing house, the white tub had yellowed with age. There are companies now (usually small-one owner mobile businesses) who do tub refinishing. My tub/shower surround cost me about $100. They spray on a very durable epoxy glazing. Check with local BBB once you find a few tub refinshers. A good refinisher can do just about any surface, as long as it can be chemically etched first.

Hope this helps,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC