> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ... Would Appreciate Feedback On Kitchen Countertop Materials
Login | Register

... Would Appreciate Feedback On Kitchen Countertop Materials

Posted by Jay J on January 4th, 1999 08:29 AM

The (formica) veneer on my kitchen counters is starting to separate from the underlayment. It's like a disease and there's no pattern as to where it is, and isn't, happening. We bought the house 4 years ago and were told by the sellers that the kitchen was completely redone in 1992. I've spoken to a few 'experts' and their suspicion is that water based glue was used. The experts use the HiBond 80 glue, or better, and have never been called back to a job for peeling veneer. (Is this 'good' stuff???)

Anyway, I've temporarily used Formica Glue to fix the problem. In the meantime, I'm getting bids for re-veneering, installing Solid Surface Veneer (SSV), and the like. We've already decided not to go with granite, corrian, or the like since we have about 40 linear feet of counters. Of course, the easy option is to go with veneer but I'm looking into SSV (by Wilson Art) and Swanstone. I would appreciate anyone's $.02 on using SSV or Swanstone or anything similiar on EXISTING counters. I'd like to hear any +'s and -'s on the durability and installation issues with the type of material you suggest or don't suggest. Just for trivia, Home Depot will contract out an SSV job in my area for anywhere from $72 - $78 per linear foot. I'm still shopping for 'private' installers to see if the price will come down. In the meantime, I'm listening to you all.

Jay J

PS: I'm posting this on another Forum or 2 to gather opinions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC