> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > wood floor
Login | Register

wood floor

Posted by Henry in MI on March 28th, 2001 05:18 PM
In reply to What about this old wood floor??? by Boyd on March 28th, 2001 03:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Boyd. A lot of good questions. There are floor oils that are supposed to protect but don't very well. I don't think that they look good either. Your floors will be subject to a lot of water from spilled coffee, rain, snow and mud, mopping, etc. I think that you have to have it pretty well protected. The best for this is either oil based or water based polyurethane, in my opinion. Because of the way poly cures, you have to sand between coats. But you do not want to sand with a drum sander or similar. You want to use a used sanding screen on the brush of a floor buffer. With the size of this set-up, the intermediate sanding should go pretty quickly. Be sure that you give the poly a good long time to cure between coats. Follow the finish manufacturers recommendations to the letter or ask a local pro for some tips. Remember that taking the time to do this right the first time can save you a lot of time and money if you have to refinish it again. I suggest that you apply 3-4 coats of poly. By the way, you will want to use a flat a finish as possible on this and keep it stirred during application. Keeping the area really clean of dust while the finish is first curing will be critical.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC