> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > "becoming the next home improvement star"
Login | Register

"becoming the next home improvement star"

Posted by Karen on March 19th, 2002 01:32 PM

Now please don't laugh at me as my husband did but I love fixing things and want a career change. I have a Masters degree in education and teach 2nd graders. I feel that if I can teach 17 demanding children I can do anything. I want to stay at home (since I have a new son) and totally remodel my 50 year old home. The only thing I've done so far is paint a room. I think it looks good. Anyways, I want to start my new "job" by totally redoing our bathroom. I want ceramic tiles, new tub,... you get the picture. I got an estimate to replace my kitchen cupboards and the ripping out and installation cost almost as much as the cupboards. I think to myself, this doesn't seem so hard. If someone else can do it I also should be able to. My husband has forbidden me to do a thing without further information because he doesn't want to pay $20,000 for a job that probably would have only cost $10,000. So my question is what do I need to do to learn how to rip out walls, put in a drop ceiling, install a deck, redo a kitchen, etc... Is there a school I can go to? My husband says if I have to ask, I have no business trying to do this type of work. I already bought a saw and a drill. I'm ready to go. Please help me figure out how to get started.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC