> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > (One More Time ...)
Login | Register

(One More Time ...)

Posted by Jay J on September 8th, 1999 11:20 AM
In reply to On Asbestos-Wrapped Pipes And Cement Shingles ... by Jay J on September 8th, 1999 11:19 AM [Go to top of thread]

FWIW, the asbestos that wraps the piping is an accident waiting to happen. It's a problem when it's disturbed, meaning, if the insulation is bumped or something it can become airborne very easily.

So, in my opinion, it's a potential hazard where you can disturbe it. As far as the asbestos in the walls, it too, can be a hazard because if it's near any duct work or openings into the main house, running up and down steps can, over time, disturbe the insulation. So, if you're gonna have it removed, I'd consider having it ALL removed. Exploratory work can be done to estimate the extent of the insulation in the home. A professional can tell you all you need to know. (Of course, you can search the WEB for related information that either substantiates or disputes the professional's opinion. I'd search first so you can 'question' him/her on the spot.) Moving right along ...

As for the shingles, there are a number of posts that I and other have put up that talk at lengths about asbestos cement shingles. Mostly, I/we have addressed them when they're used as siding shingles; not in a roof/shingling application. (Are you sure they're on the roof?) Anyway, you're certainly free to read what's already been said. Asbestos Cement Shingles I Asbestos Cement Shingles II Asbestos Cement Shingles III. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC