> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ... lessons
Login | Register

... lessons

Posted by Norm C on April 13th, 2001 12:36 PM
In reply to Good Article by Bob Davis on April 12th, 2001 03:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bob, I'm very sorry (but, I don't apologize ...) to read about your roof problem.
I know that I am preaching to the choir about this, but this was a lesson learned the hard way. In ANY business deal: (1) define what is to be done, (2) get it in writing, in a legally-binding document, (3) get the costs, materials specifications, and workmanship defined, (4) check references of contractors and subcontractors before commissioning them to do any work, etc, etc, etc.
There are few bargains, when it comes to getting good work done, especially something as important as a roof. If a homeowner decides to act as general contractor, do the same things that a professional general contractor will do, get things down in writing, and don't pay until the work is satisfactorily done.
Next time, you will be acutely aware of these details. They are standard operating procedure in business ... and work on your home is "business".
Don't be discouraged. Next time, you will come out OK. Others can learn from this lesson, also. Keep the faith.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC