> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 'Last Several Years' ...
Login | Register

'Last Several Years' ...

Posted by Jay J on March 1st, 2000 07:55 AM
In reply to Painting vinyl floors is possible by Karen on February 29th, 2000 11:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

You said it yourself. Is all the work you're describing worth 'several years'? It may be to you but to most homeowners, who wants to disrupt the kitchen, again, in several years to do the floor? In a lot of cases, appliances have to be moved, baseboard trim should be removed, doors may have to be cut, flooring might have to be ripped up, and so on. Although I can't say how long 'several years' is, IMO, it's not long enough.

Stephanie: Take what I say on face value. Take what Karen says on face value. Get a few estimates for the work you'd LIKE to have done. Then, get a breakdown for the labor. Have the contractor(s) tell you how much it would cost to have them move the appliances and do the demolition and any other 'prep' and 'final' work. With the help of a friend, you can do the demolition and final work I'm sure. If you want to save a few $$$, just get a list of what the contractor wants done BEFORE he comes and what you should do AFTER he leaves. Then, you can see if you're up to it. Remember, on any new floor, get some thin sheets of luaun or plywood (2 small sheets about 5' x 31") so you can daisy-chain them as you move appliances around in your new kitchen. If you don't, you'll ruin your new floor.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Assuming you have the job installed properly, you'll get more than several years out of it w/o having to worry if paints gonna come off, or somethin'.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC