> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > (I'm Not Henry, But ...)
Login | Register

(I'm Not Henry, But ...)

Posted by Jay J on February 9th, 2000 08:31 AM
In reply to kitchen cabinets by glen in ohio on February 8th, 2000 06:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

You might want to think about this. Any kitchen work, even work that's 'cheap' and 'quick' will cost good $$$. That's because kitchens speak a lot about a home.

What I'm trying to say is you may spend some money on the kitchen and the prospective home buyer may not like it. Thus, they'll say, "So what they 'updated/improved' the kitchen. I-don't-like-it, so I-don't-want-to-pay-for-it." You see what I'm saying? W/O seeing what all might have to be done, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to talk to your realtor about this. If they feel that what you'll do will get you the $$$ you want for the home, then by all means, do what Henry or anyone else suggests. That's why it's important for people, in general, to realize that whatever they do to their homes to improve their value, they should do it where they can realistically recoup the costs. If the realtor says that whay you might end up doing will not justify your asking/settling price, then don't do it. You can do other things very inexpensively to get the house to sell.

For example, paint the inside walls (drywall walls) white or neutral colors. Clean up the landscaping, like trimming back bushes, raking, planting fresh flowers, trimming tree branches, and so on. The curb appeal is the first thing a prospective home buyer sees. Then, once they walk in, usually they want to see how move-inable the house is. If they don't have to do anything outside AND the walls are painted, well, that says a lot. Most people don't want to move into a home and have to do a lot of 'cosmetic' work.

I know my comments are not directly related to your post but they're worth thinking about. I'm sure you'll get the same info from the realtor. In short, ask them what you can do to 1) get peoples attention, 2) make the house look attractive, and 3) get my asking price or close to it. They'll LOVE you for it because it means more $$$ in commissions!!!! What a win-win-win situation (for you, the realtor, and the people who buy your home.) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC