> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > (I Give Up ...)
Login | Register

(I Give Up ...)

Posted by Jay J on February 28th, 2000 09:18 AM
In reply to Sealing Brick by Dan on February 26th, 2000 07:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

I preach that brick shouldn't be sealed with ANYTHING because it's meant to breath. The brick is fired in a kiln where the outside it hard and the inside is soft. That's why once the inner part of the brick is exposed (it's soft), the brick weather and deteriorates at a fast rate. A sealer will NOT permit the brick to breath. Yes, it will seal the brick but if there's any moisture inside (which there is because it's brick), if it has no where to go when it freezes or needs to get out on a warm day, the WATER will ruin your brick!

If the sealer breathes, then it's not a sealer. (An oxymoron ...) Talk to a brick layer and find out your options. Once you seal the brick, it may be irreversible. And now you've turned a maintenance-free exterior into one that's virtually maintenance-free. Sorry for the negative feedback because I hate when homeowners want the quick-fix when it comes to brick-related problems. (Nothing personal ...) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC