> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > =(... I am in a sticky spot with my polyurethane floor finish...
Login | Register

=(... I am in a sticky spot with my polyurethane floor finish...

Posted by Rob on January 21st, 2003 02:50 PM

0 of 2 people found this post helpful

Greetings, thanks in advance.

I am in the process of re finishing a 90 year old fir floor in my kitchen. I've removed several layers of flooring and a layer of black mastic. We treated the floor with a water based stain remover product... After sandind the raised grain =/ the next day, we applied oil based stain about 30 hours after that (seemed dry).

48 hours after the stain was applied we did a coat of oil based polyurethane (about half a gallon for 170 sq. ft..

I noticed right away it did not cure in the 24 hours eluded to on the packaging. In fact there is a general 'tack' and several sticky spots throughout the floor and its a full week later. Its been fairly cool (50'-60' range) but I've been running duel room heaters while I am at home and not asleep. (I have a feeling my heating bill is going to be murder.)

I think I am going to crack if I have to sand this finish off....

Potential missteps I have taken.
1. the floor brightenter wasnt dry enough.
2. the stain wasnt dry enough.
3. I didnt stir the polyurethane enough.

My questions to the experts here:

Is it just a matter of time until the polyurethane drys? Its been a week how long can it take?

In a test spot I removed some of the 'tack' with a rag and paint thinner. Would removing 'tack' this way be a problem or could it speed things up?

I assume I would not just want to put another coat over this one until it drys, is that correct?

Is there any way I can tell my wife it wasnt my fault?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC