> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 'Gardner' Was Good For Me ...
Login | Register

'Gardner' Was Good For Me ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 21st, 2000 01:09 PM
In reply to recommended blacktop sealers by W Judd on October 21st, 2000 05:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi W,

Gardner makes a Latex Rubber Mix, E-Z Stir SAND Sealer. It already has the 'sand grit' in it, which is what I recommend vs. adding it to a non-sand sealer.

Get yourself an old broom handle to stir it and read the directions carefully (while you're in the store) so you can use the 'right' tools and do the job at the 'right time' of day/season/year. The reason I recommend the sanded version of this product vs. a non-sanded one is because the sand will fill cracks 1/8" or less.

For possibly your benefit and for that of others that may read this post, I'd like to offer some 'tips' as an aside. Again, read the directions in the store so you have the right tools and so on. If you have oil or gas or any 'chemical' stains on your driveway, you can use ordinary dish detergent (Joy works well) or buy some blacktop cleaner. After you 'spot clean', it's best to use a power washer to remove any dirt and loose material before you seal. This way, the driveway will 'grip' the sealer well. If you have any cracks or 'imperfections' in your blacktop that are larger than 1/8" in diameter you need to fix those BEFORE you seal. And if any crack is deeper than 1/4", use some sand to fill it to a depth of 1/4". Just dump the sand down and 'broom' it at a 45 degree angle to the crack, going back and forth. Then, water the driveway down so the sand will settle.

Of course, the time of day you do the job is important. Again, (I know I'm repeating myself), read the directions. AND, one last thing ... If you're just resealing your driveway so 'it can look good', I suggest you not do it. If you seal your driveway too many times for this 'reason', you'll create such a buildup of tar that you'll end up tracking it into your house! And the only way to 'fix' this problem is to get the driveway re-topped with asphalt. (Uuuuuh, you can ask my neighbor across the street who sealed his driveway every year for 6 years. Just last year, he had this problem.) Think about this - You don't entertain your guests on your driveway, you don't sleep on it, and you don't eat off of it. You park your car and let it 'drip' all kinds of 'stuff' on it. Looks are nice but, technically, it's to be sealed when the 'white of the stone' starts to appear (or soon after.)

'Nough said. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -MOderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC