> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > *FINALLY Info On Building Your Own Rabbit Hutch!!!*
Login | Register

*FINALLY Info On Building Your Own Rabbit Hutch!!!*

Posted by StarBun333 on March 29th, 2003 07:44 PM
In reply to Outdoor wooden rabbit hutches by Stanley Knight on March 9th, 2003 03:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

14 of 25 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Rabbit Cage Plans by Handyman on 10/28/2004

Well, I've found it VERY hard to find anything on the web also, so I am going to make it my own. It shouldnt be too difficult, I'll help you guys out.

*First of all, decide how big you want your hutch to be(for one rabbit it should be ATLEAST 4 times the size of the rabbit, when it will be FULLY GROWN), make the "frame" out of wood, and make the sides & bottom out of wire. You can buy wire at your local Feed Store, Hard Ware Store ETC. The wire for all 4 sides should have 1 inch by 2 inch square holes. The wire for the bottom should be 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch, or 1/2 inch by 1 inch. The roof will be a large peice of wood, about 5 inches larger than the size of the actual hutch all the way around, cover it in Tar paper or metal for water proofing. You will Nail the roof to the top of the wooden frame. The roof should slant back wards (meaning that the FRAME should be higher in the front than in the back by at least 3-4 inches). Make the frame out of wood in the shape of a ractangle or box on "legs". In order to protect your rabbit from preditors, make the legs about 4 feet high, & then ALSO nail boards on 3 sides of the legs & hinged "doors" in the front for access for cleaning under the cage, and the boards will keep praditors from bitting your rabbits feet & literally scaring it to death. Use a Staple Gun to attach all of your wire to the inside of your wooden frame. Be sure to ues alot of staples inorder to make the hutch secure. (With wire cutters)Cut a square in the front of the hutch for the door that is a bit bigger than your rabbit & then get a peice of wire that is a bit bigger than the door hole, for the actual door, attach it with wire on one side like hinges, & be sure to make some kind of latch out of wire, to keep the door closed when you are not around. Provide your rabbit with a small Cardboard box turned on it's side, large enough for your rabbit to hide & sleep in. Dont forget a water bottle that you attach to the outside of the hutch with the spout going through the wire into the hutch for your rabbit to drink, and also a ceramic bowl for your rabbits Pellets, and provide plenty of "Timothy" hay for your rabbit to eat every day. GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps, it took me FOREVER to write!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC