> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 99% sure I have asbestos-vinyl tiles in basement...
Login | Register

99% sure I have asbestos-vinyl tiles in basement...

Posted by Mary T. Fisher on October 7th, 2002 04:21 PM
In reply to asbestos flooring in basement by Sharon on September 27th, 2002 08:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

O.K., I've lived in my old home (blt 1945) for 2 years, and after calling an Asbestos company, they said if I have 9" tiles, then I have asbestos tiles!

Great. O.K., in Jan 2001 I had 8" of water in the basement which led to bunches of these tiles to become loosened and subsequently pulled away from the floor. So, (and yes, I just reviewed my Home Inspection report before I bought the house and asbestos was checked off - my stupid mistake not paying attention...but that's another story...)my question is is this situation dangerous, say on a scale of 1-10? I cannot afford to spend $3500 to have them removed, so what kind of sealer do you recommend to seal the floor? I know the previous owner had her 3 kids' rooms in this basement, and they're still around and in their 50's, but, I do have my washer and dryer down there plus my cat also has gone down there a lot, especially in the summer, although he usually sleeps in a chair and not on the floor. Small comfort if the asbestos fibers are floating around. I myself don't go down there hardly at all except to do laundry, but now I'm in the process of completely organizing all my stuff,putting everything in plastic bins... but I am concerned. Should I clean out the basement of my stuff, store it off-site, seal the floor and sell the house??? I've just SO had it with home-ownership at this house, nothing older than my dog!!! (2.5 years!)

Thanks for letting me rant and also for any helpful advice...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC