renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 3 year-old Ducane electric furnace won't shut off.
Login | Register

3 year-old Ducane electric furnace won't shut off.

Posted by mariyakleyn on November 20th, 2008 07:56 PM

2 of 5 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Sequence Errr by HKestenholz on 11/20/2008

Hello.

In March '08, my newer electric furnace began having some problems. When I set the thermostat on "auto" and set the temperature, after the air temperature was achieved, the blower would not turn off. It seemed that the heater did turn off at that time, though. After about a week, the heat would not turn off, either, even when the thermostat was in the "off" position. The only way to turn off the heat and the blower was by flipping the furnace switch at the breaker box. As soon as I would flip the breaker on, both the heater and the blower would turn back on, even with the thermostat on "off". I thought that the problem was a deficient thermostat, so I had a programmable one installed [correctly]. The problem did not go away.

I was told [by a non-professional] that it could be either the "sequencer" or the "fan relay", and my extensive on-line research has pointed towards the fan relay. I am just not sure. My warranty still covers the parts, but not the labor. A friend of mine suggested that I physically bang on the outside of the furnace, to free up any stuck components, and this actually worked for about a week, and only the first time that I turned on the breaker (the heater/blower did not turn on until the thermostat prompted it, but then would once again not shut off when it was supposed to). For a newer furnace, I am assuming that there is a simple solution. I just need to know exactly which part to get.

Thank you very much,
Mariya

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC