renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 3 WAY SWITCHING
Login | Register

3 WAY SWITCHING

Posted by RICK@RJPCONSTRUCTION on October 21st, 1999 03:19 AM
In reply to Replacing two kitchen ceiling light fixtures on a three way circuit by Paul on October 13th, 1999 07:09 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI PAUL
THE WAY 3 WAY SWITCHES WORK GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS. AT ONE SWITCH YOU HAVE A HOT (120 VOLTS) SUPPLYING YOUR LIGHTING. NORMALLY THIS WILL BE ON THE ODD COLORED SCREW ON THE SWITCH. THEN THERE ARE TWO OTHER WIRES CALLED "TRAVELLERS" WHICH GO ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER 3 WAY SWITCH. THE "TRAVELERS" ARE WHAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO TURN YOUR LIGHT ON AND OFF FROM EITHER SWITCH IN ANY POSITION. NOW, ON THE OTHER SWITCH IT WILL LOOK ALMOST IDENTICAL EXCEPT THAT THE WIRE ON THE ODD COLORED SCREW IS THE SWITCH LEG WHICH ACTUALLY GOES TO YOUR LIGHTS TO SUPPLY POWER. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE THE "NEUTRAL" WIRE WHICH WILL BE WHITE ALSO GOING TO YOUR LIGHTS. THE HARD PART IS FIGURING OUT WHICH WIRE IS WHAT, BUT LOOK FOR THE CONTINUOUSLY HOT(120V) WITH A VOLTAGE TESTER THEN YOU'LL BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS AND I'LL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC