> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 3-way switches
Login | Register

3-way switches

Posted by Ralph Cole on September 30th, 2002 12:26 AM
In reply to OLD HOUSE WIRING by C ROBERTSON on January 17th, 2000 01:08 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have an older house - built in the late 20's and in that house I have some old "noisy" light switches which I am trying to convert to the newer more silent switches. Anyway, my problem is this: on the lower lever I have two 3-way switches controlling the main vestibule and the second floor hall light. As well, upstairs I have two similar 3-way switches which control the upstairs hall light and the front vestibule light.

In using a voltage tester, I found out that one of the "hot" wires is carrying 220 amps as a load and a couple of the others are reading at 120 amps.

While I tried re-wiring the switches, the upstairs switches would only work from upstairs and downstairs they wouldn't work at all.

Can you give me some advise? Otherwise, I'll call a professional! The funny things though, is that the book which I am referring to for insight (Home Improvements 1-2-3) says that this procedure should only take the "beginner" about 30 mins.

I guess I'm the exceptional - kind of a person that "when the bulb in screwed in - the light does't come on" type of person.

Please help!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC