renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 2 WORDS ...
Login | Register

2 WORDS ...

Posted by JAY J on June 7th, 2000 07:50 AM
In reply to ROTTED AREAS ON EXTERIOR WOOD COLUMNS by J Jones on June 7th, 2000 06:20 AM [Go to top of thread]

J,

WOOD EPOXY - I'M SURE THERE ARE BEST, GOOD, AND BAD EPOXIES. BUT TO BE HONEST W/YOU, I THINK THAT YOUR PROBLEM MIGHT BE WITH THE PRIMER AND PAINT YOU'RE USING. IF YOU'RE NOT USING A HIGH QUALITY PRIMER AND PAINT, YOU'LL BE PAINTING EVERY FEW YEARS ANYWAY. WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN USING FOR PRIMER AND PAINT?

GAPOXIO, MINWAX, AND BONDO (FOR CARS) WORK WELL. MAKE SURE WHAT YOU BUY IS RATED FOR EXTERIOR USE. AND BE SURE TO MIX SMALL BATCHES. PART OF YOUR PROBLEM CAN BE THAT YOU MIXED TOO MUCH AT ANY GIVEN TIME, AND IT STARTED TO 'SET' ON YOU. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CAN BEFORE YOU START. ALSO, TREAT THE INFECTED AREA WITH BLEACH AND LET IT DRY OUT FOR A FEW DAYS. DIG OUT ALL LOOSE AND DECAYED WOOD. LEAVING SOME OF THIS BEHIND IS LIKE PATCHING A STILL-BLEEDING WOUND. AND LOOK IN THE YELLOW PAGES UNDER 'PAINT - RETAIL' FOR A GOOD RETAIL PAINT STORE. STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW-QUALITY PAINTS YOU FIND IN THE HOME CENTERS AND SUCH. (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ...)

MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

PA: SORRY FOR USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. I'LL ASSUME THAT YOU NEED TO READ IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE VISION PROBLEMS. THAT'S OK - IT JUST GIVES ME A HEADACHE TO READ AND WRITE W/THEM. HOW 'BOUT YOU???

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC