The switch wiring is to complicated for me to describe over the net. However most of the switch boxes come with instructions. If that is not available you might ck your library or local home improvement store for a do-it yourself manual on the correct wiring. What you are experiencing is incorrect wiring not bad switches. You may want to re-inspect both switches for arcing or black/brown powder or burning smell before you reassemble. If either exist, you should probably replace both switches again. Sorry this not real time fix. But it is safer. I have searched the net for your answer in a picture form and was unable to come up with that info.