> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 2 Moisture-related Problems?
Login | Register

2 Moisture-related Problems?

Posted by Andrew in NY on November 15th, 1999 03:51 PM

First, thanks to the regulars - you have helped me immensely!
Now, for the problems: (1)My wife and I have a 1958 ranch home on Long Island. The living room has a bay window facing south. It is a 5-panel Anderson, approx. 5.5' tall by 7' wide total size. Only the end panels open and close with cranks (casement style). We recently had a decorator install full-length curtains in the window on a curved rod that follows the window shape. They are made of cotton & linen, and are 'semi-sheer' - you can see shadows/light through them, but that's about it. We had them installed in early summer, and recently noticed mildew/mold spots on the curtains. We were able to have them cleaned, but they are delicate, and we're not sure they would do well after repeated cleanings. I am assuming that the problem is that the condensation that we occassionally get on the inside of the panels that open is adding moisture to the curtains. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there anything we can treat the curtains with to prevent the grwoth of the mildew/mold? The decorator hasn't made any recommendations, and neither has the cleaner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Problem (2): The interior doorways are metal (pretty common, I guess). Before we repainted, I sanded off some small (less than 1") rust spots. I then primed with Benjamin Moore oil-based primer/stain killer. We applied 2 coats of Benjamin Moore white semi-gloss on top. In a few spots, it seems that the rust is coming through the paint. They are very small, but I am afraid of them growing. I have several more rooms to paint, and would like to do it right the first time. Can anyone suggest an alternative method for prepping and painting these doorways? Any advice would be a great help.

Keep up the good work.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC