> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 2.5 cents worth...
Login | Register

2.5 cents worth...

Posted by jb on April 9th, 2002 11:52 AM
In reply to Quality Stains by carl on April 8th, 2002 10:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't really consider those products (like polyshades, etc.) to be "stain" at all. They are really more like a paint with not much pigment in it. The wood never ends up looking anywhere near as good as regular stain because the pigment doesn't really soak in, it sits on top of the wood and is partially opaque. It ends up obscuring some of the beauty of the wood. Also, like Bruce said, it gets darker where your brush strokes overlap. Once I got decent results (although not by the approved method) by just rubbing it on with a rag. I got a finish that was harder than stain but by no means was it a hardcoat urathane finish. Also, like bruce said, Anything worth urathaning should get 2 coats minimum, probably 3. You can't really do that with the polyshades b/c it will just keep getting darker and more of the grain will be obscured. Really, how long does it take to stain anything - a few minutes? I don't think the all-in-ones will result in any kind of a decent finish. If you spend hours and hours building something you don't want to wreck the final result (the finish) by trying to save a few minutes here and there by using a hack technique.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC