> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 1/2 Opinion
Login | Register

1/2 Opinion

Posted by Jay J on June 15th, 1998 11:51 AM
In reply to opinion by carol on June 15th, 1998 11:14 AM [Go to top of thread]

About Pergo ...

Here's a good article from an informational standpoint. Pergo VS The World. Before you buy a particular floor, shop the Warranties too. Different products work better in certain rooms than others. Therefore, their warranties are different. Look at the 'wear' clauses and the 'water' clauses and plank-replacement clauses. IMO, nothing beats a solid hardwood floor. It sounds and feels solid. As for laminate floors, I'm not a fan but I am a fan of the new Engineered Floors. A common myth is you can re-finish a solid floor, like, 10 x's. Not true! It can only be refinished down to the nail heads. Compare this fact with that of an engineered floor which, though not solid, can still be refinished 2 or 3 x's. All this is covered at this site, FloorSearch. It's a little biased because they, generally, promote Formica (Formica, INC. makes hardwood products too). Nonetheless, solid hardwood, engineered, and laminated floors are discussed and described.

In short, Pergo is a chipboard product and its planks are very difficult to replace because of this (IMO). It does wear well but scratches easily and can't be refinished. They also don't have the warranty I like for 'water' issues. There's more but I'll let the reading you have to do raise more questions for you (to which you'll want answers).

Best to ya.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• opinion by carol  6/15/98 11:14 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC