> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 1950's basement window replacement
Login | Register

1950's basement window replacement

Posted by Cindy on September 5th, 2000 09:38 PM
In reply to BASEMENT WINDOWS REPLACEMENT by Frank maheux on August 31st, 2000 01:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

6 of 7 people found this post helpful

Wish you had more replies to your question as I could learn something. I will be facing the same problem with a 1960's house rehad later this year or next. I asked one of this area's premier replacement window installers the "how to", and he said he didn't usually replace basement windows attached to steel frames embedded in concrete. In picking his brain (I love to ask questions), his suggestion was to use CCA lumber to square up opening around the steel frame, then order a vinyl slider the right size to fit the opening (and measure for the right, tight fit). As with usual admonitions on wood use, even if CCA treated, should have some space between the wood and dirt. (Unfortunately what I've got comes with window wells). An alternative we thought up was to rough up the concrete and add new strong latex content concrete to square up the opening. This depends on good bonding between old and new concrete. Next alternative (which you can hardly pay someone to do) is to cut out the opening with masonry saw and chisels, remove steel frame, and square up the opening with fresh cement. Obviously the short cut with CCA lumber trimmed to fit the situation is the easiest. Have to pay attention to sealing things together tightly to prevent air leakage and have the dexterity of a cabinet maker.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC