> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > 1936 Bathroom Subfloor/walls
Login | Register

1936 Bathroom Subfloor/walls

Posted by Andrew.v on February 21st, 2003 06:38 PM

I'm remodeling my 1936 bathroom and I'm wondering what determines if I have to remove the existing tile on mortar/cement and put in a new subfloor (.

There was a crack near the wall. I removed the tile/mortar near the outisde brick wall because it was crumbling, causing the crack. The rest of the floor seems iron.

Can I just just tile over the existing tile?

One complication is a radiator. Will I have to remove that?

Another complication is the plumbing. It's probably original, so, should I just rip up the floor which would also allow me to replace the plumbing (I'm assuming it runs from the tub to the sink/toilet under the floor.

Regarding the plaster walls, I've removed half the plaster that was covered in tile. Should I remove all the plaster and replace with greenboard or can I combine the two and have the upper half of the wall be plaster and the lower be greenboard? (or, since I should be replacing the wiring whould I just rip out all the plaster/lath). I plan on keeping the tub and adding a tub surround.

There is only about an inch between the tub and the outside brick wall. How do I attach drywall to this brick? Previously, it was just tile/mortar on brick.

Thanks, obviously I've never done this before.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC