Insurance Requirement

A paid homeowner's insurance policy (or a paid receipt for one) is required at closing, so arrangements will have to be made prior to that day. Plus, involving the insurance agent early in the home buying process can save you money. Insurance agents are a great resource for information on home safety and they can give tips on how to keep insurance premiums low.
Read More

Flood Plain

If you live in a flood plain, the lender will require that you have flood insurance before lending any money to you. But if you live near a flood plain, you may choose whether or not to get flood insurance coverage for your home. Work with an insurance agent to construct a policy that fits your needs.
Read More

Private Mortgage Insurance

Private Mortgage Insurance or Insurer(PMI). These are privately-owned companies that provide mortgage insurance. They offer both standard and special affordable programs for borrowers. These companies provide guidelines to lenders that detail the types of loans they will insure. Lenders use these guidelines to determine borrower eligibility. PMI's usually have stricter qualifying ratios and larger down payment requirements than the FHA, but their premiums are often lower and they insure loans that exceed the FHA limit.
Read More

Contractor Insurance

Be sure your contractor has the required personal liability, property damage and worker's compensation insurance for his/her workers and subcontractors. Check with your insurance company to find out if you are covered for any injury or damage that might occur.
Read More

Insurance Savings

Homeowners' insurance policies typically insure the contents of the home for a percentage of the structure's replacement cost. But chances are your furnishings and other "stuff" haven't increased in value as rapidly as your home has appreciated over the past three or four years. As a result, you may be able to shave something off your escalating insurance premium by reviewing the inside coverage amount.
Read More

Disaster Damage

Homeowners should contact their insurance carrier as soon as possible to begin the claims process; however standard homeowner policies do not cover flood damage.

FEMA provides housing assistance for qualifying disaster victims. Homeowners within a designated federal disaster area may call toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to register for assistance. Applicants should be prepared to describe losses and provide their Social Security number, financial information, and directions to the damaged property.
Read More
  • 1
  • 2