The CPSC recently issued a reminder on portable generator safety following the numerous tornados that have swept through the southern states.
With power knocked out in many towns, folks are turning to portable, gas-run generators to provide much-needed electricity to their homes. While these can be incredibly convenient they are also potentially very dangerous, particularly if improperly run. One of the greatest dangers of the portable generator is carbon monoxide poisoning.
On its Carbon Monoxide page, the CPSC addresses the safety precautions folks can take to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning when operating a portable generator. The most important steps to follow include never operating the generator indoors and keeping the device away from doors, windows and vents.
We hope the worst of the spring storms are behind us. And if they are not, we urge homeowners to follow the safety guidelines when it comes to operating portable generators.