There are drug-sniffing dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs and now, thanks to 1-800-GOT-MOLD?, there are mold-sniffing dogs. Who needs laser particle counters and electronic moisture detectors when Fido can point his snout straight at the source?
The Tampa-based company just announced its first training class for new franchisees beginning Aug. 9th. Training will include, among other things, how to properly train and handle a mold-sniffing dog. The key notion is that a dog will enable detection of mold using less destructive and less costly methods. I know if I were a homeowner suffering a mold problem I'd prefer the puppy over the pry bar, that's for sure.
The company's practice of using dogs to locate mold is not new. They began in 2003 with the parent company's CEO, Jason Earle, and his dog Oreo, which became the first certified Mold Dog™. As 1-800-GOT-MOLD? continues its nationwide expansion, we can anticipate seeing more Fidos finding the fungus.
Want a mold-sniffing dog for yourself? This site is set up by a company that trains "mold dogs" for professional mold detection and remediation companies. I'm doubtful they'll sell one of their products to any old household looking for a smart German Shepherd, but you never know.
For more information on mold in the home, browse our Home Improvement library for mold-related articles and videos, like this piece on Mold and Mildew Prevention.
First of all, there are many factors to consider, so don't get too excited. These questions come from experience.
1. Is the dog "Sniffing" for MVOCs or Mould spores - there is a huge difference. If the fungal growth and materials within your residence have "dried out", and the fungi are dormant or dead, what is the dog going to smell?
2. Is the dog having a good or bad day -well, you have good days and bad days, why can't a dog?
3. What if the dog is having sinus problems due to the inhalation of spores, particulates, allergens, etc.?
4. We don't use prybars to perform destructive inspections unless specifically requested by property owner - so that's a bad comparison.
- these are the few that I can think of now, I will post more later as they come to me.