We can admit that not everyone wants tools for the holidays. And often we get stuck bringing a generic bottle of wine or flowers to Great Aunt Jean who is hosting Christmas dinner this year. Need some better ideas when heading to the holiday parties this season? We did too. That's why we came up with this list:
1. A Tool Tote: For $10 it speaks of your love for home repair and creativity. Just insert a festive plant or bottle of Champagne and you've combined the holidays with one of your (and hopefully her) favorite hobbies.
2. Breakfast for the Morning: No host likes to wake up the next morning and have to decide what to eat for breakfast. For $7 you can relieve them from that concern with Ina Garten's (aka The Barefoot Contessa) pancake and waffle mix. Combine with some OJ and Champagne and you've just solved their second problem: how to handle the hangover.
3. Vintage Notebooks: If your host likes to keep lists or journal, this is a very thoughtful gift (for only $13) that will surely get you first dibs at the hors d'oeuvres platter.
4. Peppermint Hot Chocolate:It's the gift that most people won't buy themselves, but loves to indulge in. For $20, you can be the saint who gives it to them.
5. Chenille Throw: What holiday host doesn't want to take the next day to recuperate? One way to help her heal is with a cozy, soft blanket she can curl up with and relax. For $59, it's her holiday and hosting gift in one. Plus, she'll be singing your praises as her stress melts away the next day. And don't we all love when our praises are sung?
Scrambling with some last-minute shopping? Fret no more--we have picked out a few choice items from our Holiday Gift Guide that are available at national store chains or for sale online with 1-day shipping. All you have to do is drive there, purchase and wrap or--even easier--browse, click and BOOM! Shopping done.
1) Yes, we've hyped the Propane Gauge a little bit, but what can we say?
It's a must-have for any barbecuing enthusiast. Imagine never running out of gas just as the grill marks are settling in. Or better yet, imagine running out of gas with 20+ hungry guests expecting your famous blue-cheese burgers and grilled zucchini slices. Scary thought, right? For $25, that situation can be avoided forever.
Sockets are kind of like pairs of socks. The one you want can never be found. With the ReadyWrench, your loved one can replace that maddeningly incomplete socket set with just one hand tool, complete with 16 socket sizes. $30. Holster not included.
3) Every winter I curse the cold Canadian air blowing down from the north. I know I'm not alone.
For that loved one with extra-sensitive extremities, consider gifting this pair of battery-operated Heated Gloves. $50 for warm hands in the dead of winter? Yes, please.
4) If traditional corks have been replaced by "fakes," shouldn't the traditional corkscrew follow?
Enter the Electric Rabbit Corkscrew. No more hand twisting, pulling, or tugging of any kind. The corkscrew locks into the bottle and pulls the cork straight out--real or plastic--in seconds. Because not all good things should be waited for.
5) "Do all" tools are sometimes regarded with healthy skepticism by handy folk.
Every now and then, though, a multi-tool comes along with serious cred. The Dremel Oscillating Multi-Max walks that walk, swapping project hats with ease to tackle all the cutting, grinding, scraping and sanding that your fixer-upper can throw at it. Just don't plan on seeing its gift recipient for some time, at least until after a few test runs.
6) Last-minute shopping never looked--or felt--so thoughtful. This brushed nickel showerhead from Moen (pictured above) can wash away all those Holiday stresses in 7 different spray pattern ways, and it will look good doing it, too. A spiral-pattern spray face ensures that the whole body is enveloped in water--regardless of the setting. An easy-to-use spray selector quickly changes the showerhead from "Relaxing," to "Invigorating, to "targeted massage, to any of the other four settings and back again. No wonder it's part of the Inspire line. You'll look inspired, too, for picking it up as a last-minute gift for your loved one. Available at Lowes for just under $50.