Almost nothing that could threaten your home and family is more terrifying than a fire. Reader's Digest offers eight ways to prevent an electrical fire. Here is an excerpt: 1. Never overload an electrical receptacle with extension cords or three-way adapters. 2. Never run electrical cords under carpets or rugs, over nails, in traffic areas or where there is chance of wear. 3. Don't misuse extension cords. 4. When purchasing any electrical device, choose only one that carries the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) rating. 5. Don't pull on an electrical cord to unplug it. 6. Replace any cord or plug that is cracked or discolored or feels hot to the touch when in use. 7. Call an electrician if your lights flicker and your appliances run sluggishly or if you have a fuse that repeatedly blows or a circuit breaker that trips often. 8. Don't use a bulb with more wattage than a lamp or fixture is rated to accommodate or the unit will overheat.