Moving to new home can be a stressful process. If you plan on hiring a professional moving company, here are a few things to look for:
- Verify that you mover is licensed.
- Get a written estimate.
- Check with the Transportation Division or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration about rates, liability and insurance.
- Get a written contract and review the contract closely before you sign. (include method and terms of payment)
- During unloading, check the goods carefully before signing off on their condition. Do not sign any receipt that does not document all missing or damaged goods.
- Be prepared to make the payment for the move. Many movers require the charges to be paid in cash or by certified check. Do not assume that you can pay with a credit card.
- Immediately address any complaints to the moving company. If the complaint is unresolved, contact the appropriate agencies.