Most fires involving either masonry or prefabricated metal chimneys occur because of improper installation, use or maintenance. Here are a few of the most common causes: chimney installation too close to wood framing; thermal insulation too close to the chimney; and, passing the stovepipe or chimney through a ceiling or wall, causing ignition of wood framing. Also, always operate your appliance within the manufacturer's recommended temperature limits. Too low a temperature increases creosote buildup, and too high a temperature may eventually cause damage to the chimney and result in a fire.
Before you install a rooftop antenna or satellite dish, be sure it is away from any power lines. It’s best to locate antennas and dishes where they won’t touch or fall on electrical lines if they happen to be blown off. Also, be sure to properly ground them to avoid any electrical damage to your home and appliances.