Properly maintained, hardwood floors can last a lifetime. The key to preserving your investment is assuring that the finish on your floor is still doing its job. You can test this by going to a high-traffic area where the finish is likely to be most worn, pour a tablespoon or two of water onto the floor. Does the water: Bead up so that you can wipe it up without a trace? Congratulations! Your floor's finish is doing its job! Soak into the wood after a few minutes, darkening the floor only slightly? Don't panic, your floor's finish is only partially worn. Immediate refinishing probably isn't necessary, but keep a close eye on the floor. Immediately disappear into the wood leaving a dark spot? If so your floor's finish is seriously worn and it's probably time to recoat or refinish.
Never connect generators to your internal wiring. The reverse flow of electricity or “backflow” can injure an unsuspecting utility worker. For extra safety, install a transfer switch that cuts power to your home from the utility pole and switches it to your generator. Have an adequate supply of fuel for your generator and keep combustible materials like gasoline cans away from heat sources. Always fill the generator with fuel in a well-ventilated area while the generator is turned off. Never run your generator indoors or in a poorly ventilated area such as a garage. Generators, like all other engines, exhaust carbon monoxide gas, which can be deadly. Use the appropriate sized power cords to carry the electric load. Overloaded cords can overheat and cause fires. Never run generator cords under rugs or carpets where heat might build up or damage to a cord could go unnoticed.